What Are Ad Impressions?
- Impressions only indicate the number of times your ad is viewed, not the engagement with an ad
- Impressions can be both unique and nonunique
- The amount of revenue generated by an ad impression is measured by eCPM
Why Are Ad Impressions Important?
There’s no such thing as a perfect metric. Impressions might tell you how often your message is delivered, but they can’t tell you how users have responded to it.
Nevertheless, there’s no doubt that impressions are a crucial metric that form the foundation of other important mobile marketing metrics.
- Impressions give mobile marketers greater insights into how their ads are performing within a particular channel. From this metric, you can grasp just how far an advertising channel really reaches.
- It’s essential for advertisers to know how many impressions an ad generates to understand the cost of a cost per mille (CPM) campaign.
- Impressions are the key metric when calculating effective cost per mille (eCPM), which is the model used to pay publishers. Your eCPM tells you how much you are monetizing your traffic for.
- Knowing the number of impressions is necessary to accurately calculate metrics such as click-through rate (CTR).
Ad Clicks vs Impressions: Which Are More Important?
Mobile marketers can’t rely on impressions alone to track the performance of their app.
Engagement is the highest goal of advertising, and ad clicks can measure it far more effectively than impressions can. A click indicates that your ad was interesting enough for a consumer to take action. If you want to attribute a metric to your conversions and traffic, you should look at your CTR. This will give you a good idea of how well your ad performed and converted.
How Do You Improve Impressions?
Are your ads not performing as well as you’d like them to? Are you falling short on your KPIs?
There could be a whole host of reasons why users aren’t responding to your ads the way you’d like. Here’s a short checklist of actionable next steps to take if you want to optimize your impressions:
1. Optimize and increase bids to the users and ad formats that perform the strongest.
2. Use the best-performing ad sizes, formats, and placements – you’ll get insights into what works best through A/B testing.
To summarize briefly, impressions are a crucial metric to take into consideration when you track your ad campaign’s performance. They can tell you how many users are seeing your ads and the absolute number of times your ad is shown. They are an indicator of how much your traffic is worth.
Ad impressions measure the number of times your ad is shown to a user.
Your ad is effective if it carries your users to the next stage of your marketing funnel. This can be calculated through click-through rates, viewable impressions, and ad clicks.
Most platforms count impressions every time an ad starts to load on a user’s device. In contrast, viewable impressions are counted when an ad plays for a minimum period of time.
Impressions provide a simple and easy-to-understand representation of how many people see your ads within a given campaign, audience segment, or channel.